Thursday, February 27, 2014

My Understanding about Meaningful Play

Imagine in the faraway future, where new advanced technologies allow humans to experience anything by connecting to AR device or playing an immersive video game. Even nerves can be stimulated electronically, providing a truly immersive experience. It reminds me of a scene in the animated film WALL-E, that owing to the technological advances, humankind became so comfortable, lazy, so averse to physical activities and obese,that they never bothered to experience nature in its natural phsical form. If this happened, how do you feel as a game designer?

Games are not meant to supplant real life experiences; they are meant to enrich our human experiences. This is what I thought after watching that scene. You might wonder: am I only talking about educational games. No, not really. Possibly as a result of the high strung force-fed education that I had (in China), I think there are many aspects can be improved in educational games. When I first heard the term “educational games”, it was field under the genre of serious games, and hence never caught my eye. As the genre sggests, most “educational games” are either too utilitarian or too boring.

However the more games I've played, the more I feel that games is a good tool to have a meaningful impact on human life. It is not only about games that are tagged as "educational", but also about any games that cast influence on players. So what is the problem? How can we solve it? The key lies in the difference between being “educational” and “influential”.

I remember that we used to have Ideological and Politics class in school. I always find these classes are nothing but time consuming, mind numbing and brainwashing. What they taught made sense but the way of its being taught is far from pleasant; which is exactly the contrary of what I mean by “meaningful interactions. For instance, in China, patriotism education is the first lesson we learned in kindergarten. It probably sounds ridiculous and hard to imagine for who've grown up in the free world. Regardless, at that age, it’s impossible for children to understand what “love” means, what “nation” is, and what “party” stands for, let alone to put them together. The teaching is excessively utilitarian in its sole purpose to get everyone brainwashed rather than educating effectively. That’s certainly not a good means of education. But, there was a teacher who impressed me. She taught honestly (as honest as she could), not afraid of comparing the education in China with the ones in other countries, especially the early education. In some other countries, children are guided to feel the love for themselves, their parents, their friends, the people, public facilities, the country, etc. The main differences here are, “rote learning” vs. “inspiring by feeling”. The effect of the two methods should be apparent.

However, I feel there’s no excuse not to develop entertaining meaningful games. The reason why I emphasize the word “entertaining” is that the more enjoyable a game is, the more convincing and powerful it will be. Gaming is a process b which the emotions of the player play an integral part. So I treat “entertaining” to be just as important as being “educational / meaningful / influential”. Maybe because I’m also an artist, I can’t regard educational games as real games. It’s kind of like the sophistry paradoxes of “A white horse is not a horse”. It doesn't make a game for not being fun enough; at most it is just sequence of interactions.

There are well-crafted educational games that can achieve their goals. There are engaging indie games with deep intrinsic values, and it often makes people consider their real life. Like what I said earlier about games being meant to enrich our human experiences, a good game tries to form a certain behavior pattern by guiding players to solve the game; a good character tends to be a positive example by inspiring players to comprehend and learn from their behavior. It might sound difficult and impossible. But it’s not. So my attitude is to achieve and never asking the outcomes. Because if you focus on how much you can influence your audience, it tends to lose fun. In other words, it depends on the audience. That’s why I feel “meaningful play” more accurately describes what I’m thinking than “meaningful games”. Without the interactions of players, we can never judge a game. Meaningful games are where meaningful play happens.


Let’s go back to the scene I described at the beginning. There seem to be a conflict between completely taking over people's lives and bring positive value to our players. By taking these considerations into heart, we can be more direct and clear when designing a game. Like, what do I want to convey through designing this entertaining game that might change the way that players do something? Is there any positive ways my characters can do something which will hopefully be emulated by players do or think about something? Or is it more effective for an educational game to better engage our guests?

5 comments:

  1. I agree that games, as an art form, have the power to strongly impact the player. In this, they are not so different from other art forms. You have games that tell very personal stories, that (as long as the player is invested) can move the player in highly emotional ways. These compare to movies like "Schindler's List" and books like "House of Leaves". They are filled with meaning, with things to think about and moments to ponder. You also have simple, mindless games that are meant only to pass the time. Compare them to romance novels or any movie by Michael Bay.

    I'm also sorry you never encountered an educational game that reached you on this level. For me, I can never look at a globe without thinking about "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" Or, for that matter, think about the colonization of western America without immediately seeing the title screen for "Oregon Trail" (no, not the zombie remake...). These games were both meaningful and enjoyable for me when I played them, and I learned facts and methodologies from them that I use even today.

    Also, don't limit yourself to showing only positive examples to people. Making a player choose something they would never do in real life, forcing them to experience the negative consequences of action they might never or should never take, can often be more illuminating than showing them the "right" way.

    And, to reference your last sentence, I think it is important for EVERY type of game to try and engage the player better. The question is, how do you accomplish that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" and "Oregon Trail". They are exciting. I think people would always like to learn something through play, so basically my idea is to make educational games more entertaining. On the other hand, I'm thinking, sometimes after enjoying a good game, I will go to check more background knowledge on what content the game sets in. It's like the game influence me to learn something rather than letting me learn all the things in the game. But I'm not sure how it might work.
      Also I agree with your idea about creating things players can never experience in their real life and make games as engaging as we can!

      Delete
  2. Haley,

    This is an interesting look into what learning through gaming is. I agree that sitting down to play a game for the purpose of education is not a very interesting proposition. I like to think about it like movies. Sometimes you watch movies that are historical, but not really to learn about the history behind the movie. You watch the movie to be entertained, and then after wards, in reflection, you consider that the events in the film actually happened. I think if we can inspire peoples curiosity towards a subject through games, like film does, then we can create games that do have a larger impact on the gamer.

    This was an interesting read!

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a great point that educational games should be a game first and educational second, because after all, for a game to be played, it needs to be more fun than the alternatives. The situation you present clearly describes homework or required reading which doesn't necessarily constitute a game. The most powerful games as you've stated stand up on their own through intrinsic value for which the players return. These are strong concepts for entertainment games because the entertaining part is the whole of the experience. Educational games not only have to be fun, but also effective. I wonder how much of the trouble in educational games comes from using an improper measuring stick in looking for the wrong types of results. If a game gets a student interested in a subject, shouldn't this be regarded highly, even if the game does not properly convey the information as a teacher or a text book would? Maybe educational games don't cut it because those that evaluate educational games are looking for the wrong metrics.

    Great thought provoking post Haley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haley,
    I have to say that I felt your personal account of your educational experience was poignant. You have a strong message about the way intent and strong execution or the lack thereof can create either powerfully positive or powerfully negative experiences.

    I have to disagree with you on the point of educational games not being real games. I personally feel that with the right execution and insight a game whose goals are equally to educate and to give the player an enjoyable (or whatever the desired sensation may be) experience can be successful.

    I really enjoyed your thought that, “Games are not meant to take the place of real experience of human life; they are meant to cast positive impact on human life”. This is a very interesting and thought provoking sentiment. I specifically like the idea of designing games to cast a positive impact over the entirety of a person’s life; designing games that have enough impact that they can serve as lens through which the rest of one’s life can be viewed. This idea is an admirable goal for any designer. However, I think there are definitely games whose success comes through providing a tacit escapism to their players (Animal Crossing comes to mind) and I am hesitant to view the as failures. There are many such games which can be considered successful on many levels, while they may not have as awesome an intention as the one you mention.

    -Christian

    ReplyDelete